Posted By 0 Comment(s) 115 View(s) Recipes
- Set oven Gas Mark 3, 160°C (325°F).
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. In it brown the chunks of beef, a few pieces at a time. Remove the meat as it browns to a casserole. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for a few minutes, sprinkle in the sugar and flour, stir it around to soak up the juices, then gradually stir in the Stout and water, stirring all the time. Add the thyme, wine vinegar, mustard, ground cloves and seasoning; bring to the boil and pour it over the meat in the casserole. Put the lid on and cook in the oven for 1½ hours or until the meat is tender. Approximately 20 minutes before the end of cooking time add the broccoli to the casserole.
- Delicious served with Colcannon (See below).
- Cook the potatoes in a covered pan of boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the kale. Heat a knob of butter and two tablespoons of water in a heavy-based pan with a lid. When the butter has melted and formed an emulsion, add the kale with a pinch of salt. Cover, shake well and cook over a high heat for 1 minute. Shake the pan again and cook for another minute. Drain off any liquid and then season the kale with pepper.
- Drain the potatoes, add in the milk and mash until smooth, then beat in the kale and the remaining butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.